Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Checkup, Haircut and Catch-up

It has been several weeks since I have blogged. It seems like I have so much to catch up on. Kenley had her 9 month checkup last week and she is doing great. She weighs 19 lbs 12 oz and is 28 1/2 inches long. She is charting at 75% for both height and weight and somewhere around 25% for head circumference :)...she is a Rushing. I was so excited to tell the pediatrician that she started rolling over and crawling and that she was really catching up with milestones. I just knew he was going to say, "Great! We don't have to worry about the Torticollis." But he didn't say that. He said that Kenley still has about a 5 degree tilt that he thought would be corrected by now with ECI working with her. He wants her to go see a pediatric ophthamologist to make sure that there is nothing wrong with her vision that makes her tilt and he ordered a neck x-ray for her to make sure that her vertebrae check out. So...we will be doing that in the coming weeks.
She has been cutting teeth like mad lately. There is a constant fountain pouring out of her mouth. Her teeth are coming in completely out of the normal order which I think is so funny. I think her top incisors will be the last ones to come in. That should be interesting :) I looked in her mouth the other night and could see seven (yes, seven) teeth that are just about to come through. I could actually see all of the teeth under the surface. I have never known a kid to cut that many teeth at once. She finally had one break through on the bottom last night. Woo hoo! Six more to go. Here is a picture of Kenley being cute pulling up on her toy basket. Just a side note...she is wearing pajamas that Ashlyn wore when she was crawling around and pulling up on things at our house in Reno. It brings back so many memories :)
I have been having to pull Ashlyn's hair back lately because her bangs are getting long again. While fixing her hair the other day, I noticed a small clump of really short hairs. "Ashlyn," I said. "Did someone cut your hair with a pair of scissors?" "Yes," she politely answered. "Who?" I asked. "I did!" she smiled. I then asked her when she did it to which she answered, "While I was watching Giselle" (her name for the Disney movie Enchanted). I couldn't help but laugh. I don't think I would have been laughing had it been more hair...I have heard horror stories from other mothers of three year old girls. Anyway, I tried multiple times to get a decent picture of the haircut. If you look closely at her hair (after laughing at the look on her face) in the top right corner, you will see the small clump of hairs that Ashlyn decided needed a trim.
I though that this fall would be a good time to enroll Ashlyn in her first group activity. I was deciding between dance and gymnastics...we went with gymnastics. I think that it is something that Ashlyn will really enjoy. She is in a class with two of our neighbors and absolutely loves it. This is the only picture that I have of her in the class. They are doing their stretches. She is in the little blue tank top with her back to the camera. I know, not a good picture at all, but I am a proud mom...that's my baby out there in that big kid class.
A couple of weeks ago I got to go away for the weekend on a scrapbook retreat to catch up on all of the pictures we have of these girls. Ken stayed home with both girls. He is so great to just take stuff like this on with no question of having help. People ask him, "Who is coming to help you?" "No one," he tells them. He just does his thing. Gets them in their little dresses and takes them both to church on Sundays and everything. I am so blessed to have a husband that does such an awesome job at being Daddy. Here is a picture that he wanted me to post. Kenley doesn't get very many bottles, so when the time came to give her one, Ashlyn was very excited to help.
Ashlyn decided to get dressed up a few nights ago and put on a concert. She sang her rendition of A Whole New World (the theme song from Aladdin). It was absolutely hilarious. If I can add the video clip that we have of her later I will. It was precious. Here she is singing her little heart out.


We have a little ceremony at church at the end of each summer called Turning of the Leaves. It is where the kids get recognized for accomplishments that they have made in their class. Ashlyn has learned that the Bible is God's written word and that there are two parts, and old testament and a new testament. They get to put leaves on a tree to show that they have learned these things. She was very excited.
Hopefully I will be able to keep up with blogging more often in the coming weeks with Ashlyn starting school soon. But for now I am playing catch up with all of the recent photos.

2 comments:

TxFarmhouse said...

Great blog with all the pictures! I love Ashlyn's look on the haircut picture..it is so her. Can't wait to see the video of Ashlyn singing...she looks like she's just waiting for a talent scout to spy her. Little Kenley always seems to have a smile on her face now that she's mobile. And Ken, you're a blessing!
Mom

mimi said...

Your blog is wonderful. Thank you for updating it. I love it! I noticed Ashlyn's white sandals in the last picture. Don't forget that Ashlyn cannot wear white shoes after Labor Day, this coming Monday. It just wouldn't be right. If you don't know why, ask your mother.
Give those kids a squeeze from Aunt Mimi