Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thumb Guard-Night One

Ashlyn has been getting worse about sucking her thumb again. I think most of the problem is that she is inside a lot and watching more movies this summer since mommy is so tired and when she watches the movies, she tends to suck her thumb. Well, I don't want it to get any worse, especially since the idea was to have her completely stop when she turned four. So we decided to buy her a thumb guard to help her quit. She really does want to quit. She has asked for medicine to put on her thumb and even wants to sleep with bandaids on so that she won't suck her thumb. But those haven't seemed to work, so we thought we would try this. Last night she got to sleep in mommy and daddy's bed for her first night with it. I thought that she would be waking up several times crying because she couldn't soothe herself back to sleep. But she actually did really well. She was very proud of herself for making it through her first night. I will try and keep posting blogs about how her progress is with it. I think it supposed to take 3 weeks or so. We will see how she does. I thought I would also post a sweet picture of Ashlyn the very first time she found her thumb. I remember being so sad that day and having a hard time with it. (For those of you that don't know, I sucked my thumb for a long time.) But now it is almost bittersweet for her to be stopping. Just one more step in her growing up. My sweet little girl.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh my goodness that picture is PRECIOUS! What a little softy... :-) She is a champ and she'll be thumb-sucking free by the end of summer, I bet. It's a HARD habit to break.

Anonymous said...

You'll have to update us on how it is going. I know we started talking about it earlier today, and then I got sidetracked. Sorry!
Let me know how it goes, since I may need to venture down the same path in not too long.

thehallebunch2 said...

Hello..you don't know me but i have been looking around the internet for a good thumb guard. I read your post..hope you dont mind.. I have 4 kids who only 3 suck their thumbs and 1 sucks his two middle fingers. What website to I go too? Grateful that my two older ones stop sucking their thumbs, need to work on my two boys. Have dental issues with them already so need to snap it in the rear before it's too late. Would really appreciate it.. thanks oh my email address is ben_nyoka@yahoo.com.
Thanks again!
Nyoka