Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ashlyn's First Day of Pre-K

Ashlyn has been looking forward to starting Pre-K this year for quite some time. Partly because it brings her one year closer to going to kindergarten which she talks about a lot already. Partly because most of her friends start at least a week earlier than she does and she loses playmates for the end of her summer. So today was her big day. She was very excited that she had a clean dress to wear on her first day. Pretty much all she was concerned about this morning was that she got to wear her "seashell dress" and that she had a drinkable yogurt packed in her lunch. So after that was taken care of, we slapped on the forbidden after-labor-day white sandals and off we went. She was very helpful carrying in her own backpack and nap mat today. She couldn't wait to get into her classroom. Hugs and kisses to Mommy and Daddy and off she went. I picked her up today and she said she had a great day except for one little girl that was mean to her. I asked her what happened and this is what she said. "______ was mean to me at school today, Mommy. She told me to come sit down so I did. But then she looked at me and said, 'I didn't tell YOU to come sit down, I asked ________ to come sit down!' So I got up and then she turned to ________ and said, 'C'mon, ________, let's go play somewhere else. So I had to go find another friend to play with." My heart wanted to break when she told me this story. It is just one of many struggles and days of hurt feelings that she will face in school and in the real world, I know. But no one ever wants their child to suffer. It is so hard not to tell her to get _______ by herself and tie her shoelaces together. But I know that God wants her to treat others kindly. So I just told her that I was so sorry that she got treated that way and Daddy reminded her tonight that we are always kind to people, even when we don't know them. Our little bug is growing so big and I love every day with her. Here are the pictures of her before school today...one by herself and one with a certain little sister that wanted her picture taken with "Ashyn".

PS. We are three days from finishing the wristbands with the Thumb-Guard. Stay tuned later this week for the special Build-A-Bear date with Ashlyn, Mommy and Daddy!


3 comments:

mimi said...

Oh my gosh your girls are soooo cute. Just think, one day you'll have a picture of 2 little girls standing there, each with her own backpack, and a third little girl wanting her picture taken with her two older sisters!
aunt mimi

Blessed Boutchers said...

I remember that outfit Kenley is wearing. Isn't that the one Marsha Berkbigler bought Ashlyn? So cute! Wish I was closer to hear all of their interesting stories. How about the name...Sarah?

Shelly said...

If I ever see ______ in a dark alley, she better BE PREPARED!